Add value to your home by increasing the square footage of living space with a Finished Basement! Adding a bedroom with an Egress window in your basement may increase the overall value by as much as $20,000.00. The extra usable space in your home can make a significant difference in the ease & convenience of your everyday life. A properly finished basement eliminates the very common problem of damp & moldy basement areas.
Tips To Help Your Basement Finish Go Smoothly:
- Be certain that you have a dry basement. Before you begin any basement finishing make sure that your basement is dry and will stay that way. The last thing you need is to finish a basement twice! Go outside and check your down spouts to make sure they aren’t clogged. Check the ground slope around your foundation. It should be sloping away from the foundation walls.
- Do you need to pull a permit? After you have your design in place and before you begin your basement finish does your local area require you pull a permit? The Crew at Better Basements can help with that and pull it for you if necessary.
- Keep the warmth in and the moisture out. Better Basements’ rubber wall membrane, Flexi Seal, will keep the moisture out of your basement and off the walls. Unattended moisture on walls can be a starting point for mold and mildew.
- Consider your ceiling options. Suspended ceiling tiles are a great option if you need access to plumbing and electrical systems. Another option is a dry wall ceiling but you would need to create an access panel.
- Save money. Don’t finish your laundry room or boiler room. The codes in these areas are stricter and by not finishing those areas you can cut down on costs.
- Build up the floor. Obviously a basement is below ground and is cooler and has more moisture than other areas in your home. Place a vapor barrier on the floor.
Basement finishing services will always be more cost efficient than adding a room addition, but remember to have your basement finish match the rest of your house! Better Basements can help Des Moines, IA and the surrounding area design new living space in your basement and professionally finish your basement meeting all of your needs!